Saturday, August 22, 2009

A fine day

A fine day it had begun. I do not know why after so many years of dating, I had butterflies flying in my stomach that morning. “Out of practice” I thought. I had a date that day.
About this girl I will not say much. Just that I had only been talking to her for about 4 months online. I had never spoken to her in person before. I had seen her a couple of times but had always decided against speaking thinking how awkward it would be. Well now I think I should have.
That day was probably the most awkward date of my life. I had nothing to talk about with the girl. I almost knew everything about her, family, friends, interests, etc. in the past 4 months of online chatting. For the first time in my life I was in that kind of a tight corner.
I tried to make useless conversation with her thinking that she might pick up something interesting in it; but that did not happen. What happened was that I was making a fool of myself.
I was sure at one moment that she must be counting chickens in her mind to pass time just as I was doing. With about 5 years of dating experience I put my knowledge of women to the test. I wanted to know if I had lost “my touch” with women.
At the very instant I realized something. I should talk about something common between us. Even though most people would disagree on talking about such an issue on the first date, but I had no option. I started talking. About “Women”.
Probably this was the best part of the date. We were finally talking. And just as we were about to call it a day, she said something to me which I will remember all through my life. “This is the first time I am talking to a guy so much I have met for the first time”.
Trust me people I have never felt the world a simpler place in my life. I came back that day without saying much to her. After that I have hardly talked to her but those words are still crystal clear to me. A fine day I said to myself that night. And I meant it.

No comments:

Post a Comment